Sunday, June 15, 2008

Following the path set before us

As I am sitting on the couch one morning the phone rang. An adoption agency I had contacted about information and costs was curious if we were still pursuing adoption. This had me very curious. This agency was a local christian agency that friends from church had used. They asked us to come in this week to talk.

We rearranged our schedules and went to talk to this agency director. She explained that she had a birth-mother who was delivering in a week and they did not have a family for her daughter. This gave us one week to get all the paperwork and requirements complete. What a week it was, filling out papers, cleaning the house for the homestudy, finding a CPR/First Aid class.

When the day arrived for this birthmother to have her C-section, the doctor decided to wait another week. I was crushed. I had no idea I would experience the emotions I did. I had been reading her profile all week over and over, falling more and more in love with this baby. I had restrained myself not to shop, so I still had more to look forward to. By the end of the week, the agency was having trouble locating the birth mom. She evidently changed her mind and did not inform the agency of her decision. She was gone, as was my heart.

This experience helped push me off the cliff and I was full into adoption. The pregnancy issue was gone. Looking back now I see the path more clearly. God had planted seeds in our life for years. As a couple we had read If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat - John Ortberg. We had discussed adoption while we were dating. We both wanted children and would adopt a child and be single parents if we had never been married.

Wow, what a journey this first failed placement would lead us to.

No comments: